Mr Pankaj Puri
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon
FRCS(Ed), FRCOphth, PGD in Health Informatics
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Royal Society of Medicine
- British Medical Association
- All India Ophthalmological Society
- Delhi Ophthalmological Society
- Medical Council of India
- National Academy of Medical Sciences India
- British Ophthalmic Photography Association
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists
Main NHS base:
University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust.
Mr Puri provides comprehensive ophthalmology care which includes
- Management of Inpatients, out patients and providing ocular emergency services.
- Providing specialist Medical Retinal services including management of Age related Macular degeneration using anti VEGF agents and Photodynamic therapy.
- Providing a range of surgical services including high volume cataract extraction with lens implant
- Provision of services for other Medical retinal Conditions including diabetes & uveitis
Training & background:
Mr Puri’s ophthalmic training started in 1990 in India. He was a trainee in ophthalmology from 1990 to 1996 and during that time achieved a Diploma in Ophthalmology followed by Diplomate of the National Board of Examination in Ophthalmology and also with the Membership of the National Academy of Medical Sciences India.
He started his training in United Kingdom in 1996 as a senior house officer in ophthalmology initially at Hull Royal Infirmary and subsequently at the Southport General Infirmary. He was appointed as a Specialist Registrar [LAT] at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital Sheffield in July 1999 was soon appointed as a substantive Specialist Registrar in October 1999. During his training as a specialist registrar he developed a keen interest in medical retina and worked towards an advanced subspecialty training [ASTO] in this area. He subsequently worked as a fellow at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital. He was appointed to the post of consultant ophthalmologist at the Derby Royal Infirmary (now the Royal Derby Hospital) in July 2004. He has a special interest in retinal diseases leading the intravitreal injection service for macular degeneration and also involved in high volume cataract surgery.
Over the past few years he has been actively involved in the training of trainees in ophthalmology. He was the college tutor of ophthalmology from 2009 to 2012 and worked closely with the then Training Programme Directors to help organise and deliver training programme in the region. He was appointed as the Training Programme Director for ophthalmology (North) in March 2014 and over the past 24 months has worked really hard to improve both the quality of training and assessments in the region.
He is also the regional representative for the Royal College of Ophthalmologists and also the Associate clinical director for ophthalmology.
Retinal diseases (Including oncology):
- Raj A, Alexander P, Puri P. Retinal pathology in the fellow eye of patients presenting with wet macular degeneration in the index eye. Eye. 2008;23(9):1873-1873.
- Mehta P, Puri P, Talbot JF. Disc drusen and peripapillary sub retinal neovascular membrane in a child with the VACTERL association. Eye. 2006;20(7):847-848.
- Puri P, Prasad S, Rennie IG. Organized vitreous haemorrhage masquerading as an optic disc melanocytoma. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2003 Mar; 13(2): 215-7.
- Gupta M, Puri P, Rennie IG. Use of bovine pericardium as a wrapping material for hydroxyapatite orbital implants. Br J Ophthalmol. 2002 Mar; 86(3): 288-9.
- Puri P, Gupta M, Rundle PA, Rennie IG. Indocyanine green augmented transpupillary thermotherapy in the management of choroidal metastasis from breast carcinoma. Eye. 2001 Aug; 15(Pt 4): 515-8.
- Prasad S, Puri P, Sisley K, Parsons A, Rennie IG. Cytogenetic analysis in ocular lymphoma. Br J Ophthalmol. 2001 Nov; 85(11): 1388-9.
- Puri P, Gupta M, Rundle PA, Rennie IG. Choroidal melanoma presenting as a haemorrhagic detachment in a 12-year old. Eye. 2003 Apr; 17(3): 425-7.
- Gupta M, Puri P, Jacques R, Rennie IG. Retinochoroidal mass: a presenting feature of metastatic oat cell carcinoma of lung. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2002 Nov-Dec; 12(6): 550-2.
- Puri P, Squirrel D. The role of IgM isotype anticardiolipin antibodies in ocular vaso-occlusive disease. Eye. 2001 Jun;15(Pt 3):365.
- Gupta M, Puri P, Rennie IG. Bilateral birdshot retinochoroidopathy in absence of overt clinical lesions. Br J Ophthalmol. 2001 Jun;85(6):754-6.
- Gupta M, Puri P, Rundle PA, Rennie IG : Combined hamartoma of the retina and the retinal pigment epithelium CME Journal ophthalmology, 2001,25-6
- Puri P, Motwani N, Pande M. Squamous carcinoma of the thyroid metastatic to the choroid: a report. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 2001 Mar;10(1):63-4.
- Puri P, Watson AP. Siegrist’s streaks: a rare manifestation of hypertensive choroidopathy. Eye. 2001 Apr;15(Pt 2):233-4.
- Verma D, Puri P. Ischaemic retinitis as a result of acute episodic blood loss. Int Ophthalmol. 1998;22(6):331-3.
- Puri P, Verma D. Racemose angioma of the retina: A rare Arteriovenous malformation British Journal of Ophthalmic Photography 1999:2;42-43
- Puri P, Datta SK. Management of choroidal metastasis: a report. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 1998 Sep;7(3):197-200.
Paediatric ophthalmology and Strabismus:
- Puri P, Chan TKC. Ophthalmic manifestations of craniometaphyseal dysplasia. Journal of Pediatric ophthalmology and strabismus. 2003 Jul-Aug;40(4):228-31.
OR Puri P, Chan J. Craniometaphyseal Dysplasia: Ophthalmic Features and Management. Journal of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus. 2003;40(4):228-231.
- Puri P, Chan J. Stable pigmentary retinopathy in a child with 3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency. Eye. 2000 Aug;14 (Pt 4):659-61.
- Nambiar AK, Puri P, Chan J. Sphenoid dysplasia and temporal lobe prolapse in neurofibromatosis type 1. Eye. 2001;15(2):251-253.
- Puri P, Grover AK. Granulocytic sarcoma of orbit preceding acute myeloid leukemia: a case report. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 1999 Jun;8(2):113-5.
- Puri P. Tissue glue aided lid repositioning in temporary management of involutional entropion. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2001 Jul-Sep; 11(3): 211-4
- Puri P Grover AK. Regression of orbital myocysticercosis: an ultrasonographic study. Int. Ophthalmology. 2001;24:357-9
- Puri P, Grover AK. Medical management of orbital myocysticercosis: a pilot study. Eye. 1998; 12 (Pt 5): 795-9.
- Grover A.K, Puri P. Congenital Simple Ptosis A practical approach Part I:Evaluation and choice of surgery: Afro Asian Journal Of Ophthalmology 1995 & Vissiscan 1995 Apr. 2(11) 13-19.
- Grover A.K, Puri P.Congenital Simple Ptosis A practical approach- Part II: Management of Congenital Simple Ptosis: Afro Asian Journal Of Ophthalmology 1995 & Vissiscan 1995 Apr., 2 (12) 21-28
- Grover A.K, Puri P:Congenital Simple ptosis A practical approach- Part III: Management of Complicated congenital ptosis: Afro Asian Journal of Ophthalmology 1995
- Squirrell D, Puri P, Rundle PA, Romanowski C, Rennie IG. Anomalous venous drainage of a plexiform (pial) arteriovenous malformation mimicking an indirect caroticocavernous sinus fistula. Br J Ophthalmol. 2002 Jun; 86(6): 702-4.
- Gupta M, Puri P, Kamal A, Nelson ME. Complete spontaneous regression of a basal cell carcinoma. Eye. 2003 Mar; 17(2): 262-3.
- Ahad M, Puri P, Chui J: Bitot’s spots following hemicolectomy.Eye. 2003 Jul;17(5):671-72
- Puri P, Gupta M, Chan J. Spontaneous perforation of the globe in Ehlers Danlos syndrome. Eye. 2001 Aug;15(Pt 4):553-4.
- Puri P, Innes JR. Necrotising fascitis of the orbit: early recognition and treatment a key to success. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2001 Apr-Jun;11(2):180-2.
- Puri P, Woodcock BE, O’Donnell N. Localised chronic eyelid disease resulting from long term hydroxyurea therapy. Br J Ophthalmol. 2001 Mar;85(3):372-3.
- Puri P. Phacoemulsification made easy. Eye. 2007 Apr;21(4):574.
- Puri P, Bansal V, Dinakaran S, Kayarkar VV. Aeromonas sobria corneal ulcer. Eye. 2003 Jan; 17(1): 104-5.
- Puri P Chan J: Cobb’s Tufts a rare cause of spontaneous hyphaema. Int. Ophthalmol 2001;24:299-300
- Gupta M, Puri P, Jacques R, Rennie IG. Fine needle aspiration biopsy: an investigative tool for iris metastasis. Eye. 2001 Aug; 15(Pt 4): 541-2.
- Gupta M, Puri P, Rennie IG. Iris seeding following iridocyclectomy for localised iris melanoma. Eye. 2001 Dec;15(Pt 6):808-9.
- Gupta M, Puri P, Rundle P, Rennie IG. Primary iris stromal cyst with pseudohypopyon: an atypical presentation. Br J Ophthalmol. 2001 Jul;85(7):887.
- Grover AK, Puri P. Orbital myocysticercosis presenting as subconjunctival abscess. Indian J Ophthalmol. 1996 Dec;44(4):229-31.
Glaucoma including neuro-ophthalmology:
- Puri P, Verma D. Bilateral glaucomatocyclitic crisis in a patient with Holmes Adie syndrome. J Post grad Med. 1998 Jul-Sep;44(3):76-7.
I have been a principle investigator( PI) in the following clinical trials
- Comarade A & C
- OPTH3738 Clinical study in dry eye
I am currently a Principle investigator in the following trials
- Harrier trial
- Grover A.K, Khosla A, Puri P. Anterior Segment Trauma: Current Status: Current Topics in Ophthalmology IV: 1996 -116-149
- Grover A.K, Puri P. Techniques of nucleus emulsification Phacoemulsification: A Practical Guide 1995: 97-114
- Lal H.B, Puri P. Advanced Phacoemulsification II: The Phaco Chop Technique Phacoemulsification: A Practical Guide: 1995: 115-117
I am currently on the reviewing panel of:
- British Medical Journal
- Journal of Post Graduate Medicine